Can I travel with my old OCI and new passport in 2023? This question may pop up in your head when you have recently renewed your Indian passport. You are concerned that an old OCI and a newly acquired passport are not sufficient to grant you entry into another country. This can understandably be frustrating.
In this blog post, Shahid will discuss the reissue of OCI cards due to the issuance of new foreign passports to OCI cardholders. You will never encounter any difficulties during your trip!
Can I travel with my old OCI and new passport in 2023?
The need for OCI card holders to carry both their old and new passports, along with the OCI card, has been abolished. OCI cardholders are now allowed to travel with just their OCI card and current passport. It is mandatory to bring your updated passport at all times.
What is an OCI card?
If you are not a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, the OCI Card is your ticket to endless possibilities in India! This multiple-entry, life-long visa grants its holder unrestricted travel and stay privileges. Don’t miss out on this remarkable opportunity—apply for your OCI Card today and experience all that India has to offer.
- Cardholders need to get the OCI card reissued once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.
- After turning 50 years old, OCI cardholders must obtain a new passport and have their original OCI card renewal.
- If you are between the ages of 21 and 50 and have an OCI card, you do not have to reapply for a new OCI card every time you renew your passport.
Can we travel with OCI on an old passport?
Traveling on a new passport without an OCI reissue is possible! The Embassy of India said OCI cardholders can enter India without old or new passports if their card shows the original passport number. These travelers may only need an up-to-date passport and their OCI card to enter the country.
OCI cardholders will be allowed to travel on the strength of their existing OCI cards attached to their old passport numbers. They also need to bring along their new passport.
New passport OCI update
OCI cardholders with a new passport don’t need to carry both their old and current passports when traveling to India. The Indian government has eliminated the hassle of having to travel with both your old and current passports. It means that this rule is no longer in effect. Now all that is required for international travel is the validity of your OCI card and passport!
To make traveling to India effortless for OCI cardholders, these modifications were created. Travelers should note that some customs officials may not be aware of this new change. They may still request proof from their old passport with a number corresponding to their OCI card.
Reissue of OCI cards due to the issuance of new foreign passports to OCI cardholders
- The OCI card is required to be re-issued each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age.
- When a new passport is obtained after reaching the age of 20, all OCI cardholders must obtain the corresponding reissue. This requires an expense of USD 25 and another USD 3 to be contributed to the Indian Community Welfare Fund (ICWF). OCI cardholders are required to pay a fee of $15.90, plus any additional costs for optional services.
- OCI cardholders must upload a copy of their new passport and a recent photo each time they get one until they reach the age of 20. This uploading must also be done once after reaching 50 years old. These documents should be uploaded within three months following the reception of the new passport.
- Cardholders or their spouses of foreign origin must upload a copy of the new passport, the photo online, along with a marriage declaration. This is also accompanied by copies of both the Indian partner’s and OCI holder’s passports as well as the OCI card.
FAQs Can I travel with my old OCI and new passport in 2023? Reissue of OCI cards due to the issuance of new foreign passports to OCI cardholders
Can I travel to India with a new passport and an OCI card that is outdated?
You will be allowed entry into India if you have a valid OCI card and a valid foreign passport. An OCI cardholder traveling on the strength of an existing OCI card bearing an old passport number is not required to carry the old passport.
Is it possible to visit India while your Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) is being renewed?
If you have any emergency travel plans, you can travel with your current OCI card, current passport, and old passport associated with OCI. OCI Cardholders can travel with their old passport numbers on their existing OCI card as long as they accompany it with a new passport.
Should the OCI be renewed along with the passport?
OCI registration certificates must be renewed when a new passport is obtained, and again after age 50 due to changes in facial features.
How do I update OCI with my new passport?
If you’d like to update your passport details via the OCI Miscellaneous Service, visit https://ociservices.gov.in/. Then, select “Fill New Miscellaneous Application.”
Under the “GRATIS” service, select the option labeled “Passport particulars updation.” After that, all you have to do is upload photos, signatures, and documents—the entire process can be done online from start to finish!
In conclusion, the answer to the question “Can I travel with my old OCI and new passport in 2023?” is yes. The rules change from time to time, so it is highly recommended that you reach out to your nearest Indian office for confirmation.
When traveling, it is always wise to plan ahead of time and never assume something is certain. Thanks for reading at European-borderlands.org!